Reddit is a hugely popular social news site and has millions of monthly users. While most users think they are safe compared to other social media platforms, there are some concerning things under the surface?
A few years ago, at the time of the US general election, The Reddit CEO spotted numbers of comments and posts were about him. The comments were regarding Reddit closing a conspiracy theory about Hillary Clinton.
Reddit users were unaware until that point; Reddit staff could edit a post or any area of the site they so wished.
They inserted code to remove the name Huffman and replace it with the critic’s Reddit username. Any insults would then point to the critic and not Huffman.
This example is an illustration, and since that time, they have dealt with other instances that are worse than this example. Data sharing being one.
If you wish to delete your Reedit account, carry on, and you can see exactly how to do it.
Deactivating and Deleting Reddit Accounts
Deleting your account permanently deletes everything related to that account, including all your favourite links.
When you do not individually remove your comments before deactivating your account, they will still be visible after your account is deleted.
The only difference is that the author will appear as deleted instead of your name.
Deactivated Reddit accounts are not recoverable, and you must confirm that you understand this. You cannot sign in to another Reddit account with the same previous credentials.
Reddit does not have an automatic download feature, and you must ask for it directly before you delete your Reddit account.
How to Delete Reddit Accounts
You can follow these simple steps when you are a Reddit user and want to delete your account.
In your web browser, navigate to reddit.com and log into your account
- In the top-right screen corner will be the username for that account.
- Click the small down arrow, (sits at the side of the username)
- Select User Settings, to take you to ‘User settings’ page
- Click the Account tab.
- Scroll down until you see Deactivate Account. Click to begin deleting your account
- The site displays a pop-up box with information about deactivating your account.
- To carry on shutting down your account, enter your Reddit username and password
- Check the box next to, ‘I understand that deactivated accounts are not recoverable.’
- Click the Deactivate account button.
- The last pop-up box asks if you want to deactivate the Reddit account. It also displays a second warning saying you can’t reverse the action. You now have two options: Cancel the action or click the deactivate account option.
- Click Deactivate account option to permanently delete your account
- Once the deletion process is complete, it takes you to the Reddit sign-in page.
- Try to log in with your Reddit username and passcode, and you should see an error
- If you can’t log in, your Reddit account is deactivated
Mobile users can’t do this through the app, and to delete a Reddit account has to be done from a browser.
How to Change Reddit Usernames
It happens sometimes; you create an account and don’t like your username. If you search how to change Reddit username, you quickly find you can’t do this. Once you have one, that is linked to your account.
If you don’t mind losing your Karma points, you can complete the above and delete the account. You then create Reddit account with a username you like. You may also need to use entirely new login details.
With the email address, there is no problem because you can have multiple Reddit accounts all tied to the same email account.
Saving Reddit Data
The most important thing to remember is that, unlike Facebook and other social platforms, there is no way to store your data automatically. You have to scroll down to the subreddit that contains the post.
- If it is a subreddit, you subscribe to, then in the My Subreddit menu to the upper left
- Scroll to the post you want to save and bring it into view
- Under the post’s title, you can click on save
One other thing to note with this is that if you close your Reddit account, you need to save this data in a way you can view it later. You won’t be able to read any of it in the Reddit format once you delete Reddit account from your life.
Alternative Means to Stay Private
In recent years there have been some newsworthy scandals surrounding the privacy protocols and policies of numerous social media platforms and Reddit joining them.
All these platforms can harvest vast volumes of data on every user. Much of this is for targeting ads, or they sell it on for use by other companies.
In the real world, many individuals are away from home, and the house is robbed. Many of these instances aren’t intentional, and geo-tags reveal precisely where users are at any given time.
Identity fraud is one of the most significant worries. While you can read up on how to remain secure, yet you need to act now, and the quickest and safest way to do something, is sign up and setup VPN on your devices.
Now you have deleted Reddit; you can take back your online privacy using a premium VPN. ExpressVPN is the most highly recommended. It is easy to use, and you can make your location look to be in another country.
Besides, there is the split tunnelling feature, so you can use any social media through the VPN while regular activities go via the regular route.
All it takes is to choose this ExpressVPN download and check out all the features using the 30-day money-back guarantee.