How to Jailbreak a Firestick
For a vast number of users viewing habits have changed quite considerably, and all this is down to a straightforward device and one piece of open-source software.
The device in question is the Amazon FireStick, and the app is Kodi. This quick tutorial will show how to access content which is geo-blocked such as US Netflix and a more extensive catalogue of Amazon Prime content.
First up we need to see what the FireStick is and then how to jailbreak FireStick to access this content.
The Amazon FireStick
What is a FireStick? – This device is around the size of a flash drive and plugs into your TV’s HDMI port. This then allows you to stream content using your home Wi-Fi like the Netflix above. YouTube, HBO go and much more.
The problem with this was back in 2015 when Amazon stopped applications from promoting free or low-cost content streaming. It was at this time, they removed Kodi from their app store.
The FireStick is powered by Android and is much different from other streaming devices which run on their own OS such as Apple TV’s and Roku.
With all this in mind, this is the time people started to jailbreak their FireStick’s and give them access to all of this content.
How to Jailbreak a FireStick
In this section, we will see how to unlock Amazon FireStick and gain access to install any apps you desire.
When you look at how to jailbreak Amazon FireStick you might think you can break it, but with the following steps you will see, it doesn’t involve changing the OS, and all you are doing is hack FireStick with apps which aren’t available from the Amazon store. One such app of importance being Kodi.
The FireStick jailbreak is a two-step process, so here goes.
Step# 1: Installing ES Explorer onto your FireStick.
- Start your FireStick
- Navigate to ‘Settings’ > ‘System’ > and then ‘Developer Options.’
- Enable the ‘Allow apps from unknown sources’ option.
- Turn on ADB Debugging option while you are here.
- Navigate to the Amazon Fire Stick main menu, and go to the ‘Search.’
- Type ‘ES Explorer.’
- Select and click on the ‘ES Explorer’ icon which will download and install it.
- Once installed you can launch the ES Explorer app.
Step# 2: Installing Kodi onto your Amazon FireStick
Here we will look at the best Kodi build, which is the latest and can make your Kodi experience less challenging with navigation, and the app runs much faster.
- From in ES Explorer menu, navigate to ‘Tools’ > ‘Download Manager.’ This is found in the left-hand menu.
- Select and click on the ‘+ New’ option from the bottom menu.
- For the ‘Path,’ you need to type https://thevpn.guru/kodi.apk and then click ‘OK.’
- For this ‘Name,’ type in ‘Kodi.’
- Select and click ‘Download Now.’
- The Kodi installation file will now begin to download.
- If you wish, you can select the ‘Hide’ option, and then navigate to ‘Tools’ > ‘Download Manager’ where you can check the download process.
- Once the Kodi ‘apk’ file has been downloaded, you can then install to your FireStick.
- Navigate back to the FireStick home screen.
- Now launch the Kodi app.
After this has been done, you need to pin the Kodi app to the FireStick home screen, and to do this follow these quick steps:
- On the FireStick home screen, scroll down until you reach ‘Your Apps & Games.’
- Scroll to the left and then select ‘See All.’
- Find the Kodi app, and then press the button with the 3 horizontal lines on your FireStick remote control.
- Click ‘Move to the front.’
- Navigate back to FireStick home screen.
Now to make full use of your FireStick and Kodi, you need to install Kodi add-ons which will enable you to find almost any content you are looking for.
Streaming Safely Using Amazons FireStick
This is the one crux of being able to install Kodi on FireStick in the UK, and it doesn’t have much to do with some of the content being geo-blocked.
Due to the amount of government spying and also ISP throttling of connections for watching streaming content, UK users should make use of a VPN service to protect their identity and prevent any letters arriving through the letterbox regarding copyright infringement.
Here are simple instructions on how to install a world-class VPN onto your FireStick.
- Head to the ExpressVPN website and register for your VPN account.
- On your FireStick, use the Search function and search for the ‘ExpressVPN‘ app.
- Enter the app page for the ExpressVPN app and download. Wait while the app is downloaded.
- Now use your Amazon Fire TV remote to enter the following information:
- Email: the email you associated with your VPN account
- Password: the password related to your VPN account
- Next click sign In with the mouse.
- The app will now go through its activation process.
- Next, you will need to configure the VPN app. Select OK.
- Here you are asked to accept Express’s connection requests. Click OK and continue.
- Your VPN app will ask if you want to share anonymous information. This helps make the VPN faster and more reliable.
- Click Allow if you wish to share your anonymous analytics.
- To connect to a VPN server, click the ON button. By default, your VPN app will suggest a Smart Location which is a server location which offers the best optimal experience.
- Once you see VPN message ON, you can begin surfing or use Kodi with freedom and bank rated security!
Alternatives to Express VPN are available such as NordVPN, and with both of these, if you have one of the earlier Amazon FireStick’s neither of these VPN’s will work.
However. The Express client can be installed on routers which are supported, or they offer routers for sale which are pre-configured.
This means if you turn off FireStick, you are still protected. Nord, although situated in Panama is linked to a US company which falls inside the 5-eyes jurisdiction.
With this, all of your devices will be secured in one go with no need to mess about installing it on each device unless you need mobile devices covered for when you are away from home.
This is a trustworthy and a reliable VPN service which provides all UK users the best experience with their FireStick or any other media streaming device they might use.
It also offers the best reliable connections and speeds for downloading torrents among many other things.
For any home, it is a worthy addition for full protection from the world’s number one VPN services.