Although Android is a (near) universal OS, not the same is true for its app store, the Google Play Store. The content – books, movies and also apps – varies with a change in country.
And if you just moved into the US, you will like to change Google Play account from the UK and open Playstore USA.
Even if you haven’t moved there, you can change it if you want to start downloading and installing apps from the US Android market.
How to change Google Play country?
Following are the steps if you want to set your Google account to the US or any other country –
- Go to the Google Payment page at payments.google.com. Sign into your account and go to the “Settings” section.
- Look for the “Home Address” there and update it to your current location (address in the US).
- Open the Play Store on your Android device and select an item to buy there.
- You don’t need to confirm the purchase, just proceed until you see the “Accept and Buy” screen. Then, close the app.
- Now, “Force Stop” and “Clear Data” of the Play Store from the “Settings” of your smartphone. If you don’t know how to do that, I am giving the steps below.
- Now you have access to the Google Play Store USA when you open it again.
You might be thinking “Why this discrimination?” But it’s not…
All this variation is because of the content licensing and copyright laws. These laws limit the distribution of content to a particular region or the other.
There are video streaming services which are restricted to the geographical territory of the US. And, the Android apps of those streaming services are not needed in other countries.
Then there also are phased release of some content. One country (the USA, most of the time) gets the release earlier than other. Yes, this happens. Remember Pokémon Go? But it’s now easy to open the US Play Store with a Google VPN.
Read further to familiarize yourself with the process.
Get US Play Store in UK
You don’t need to change the country/region to another country. It is for those who need to make the changes permanent. You can get the store of any country you want without making any region change, VPN is one of the best ways to do so.
Yes, you don’t need to change your physical location, getting an IP address of the US for your device will do the trick. Let’s see how easy setting up a VPN is and thus, get the US Google Play Services.
Among the VPNs, ExpressVPN review has been quite positive, and I will take it as an example to help you understand the process. It’s a paid service but is very reliable in the times of need. When you connect to a US ExpressVPN server, it creates a private secure tunnel for your data to pass through. The server also masks your UK IP address and gives a US IP address to the device. So, even though you are in Britain, you appear to be in the US.
Now with a US address, you can download the apps not available here and also enjoy live streaming from America.
ExpressVPN has one of the best encryption systems, and you don’t need to worry about legal consequences. Your browsing activity is entirely private, and no one can eavesdrop.
Play Store country hasn’t changed yet?
You are now connected to a VPN server, but you don’t notice any change? Well, there is a possibility of this happening.
That doesn’t mean that you did something wrong in the process. The ExpressVPN app does all the background process needed to establish a successful connection. All it asks you is the server you want to connect to.
You need to “Force Stop” and “Clear Data” of the Play Store. Following are the steps.
- Open “Settings” and look for the “Apps”/”Application Manager” option.
- Select “Google Play Services” from the list, and you will find the options here to “Force Stop,” “Clear Data” and “Clear Cache.”
- Now go back and select “Google Play Store” from the list. Do the same here, i.e. “Force Stop,” “Clear Data” and “Clear Cache.”
- Now you can see the US version of Play Store (or whichever country you are connected to) when you open it the next time.
The steps are same whether you use Samsung, Sony or HTC.