Kodi is a popular media player known worldwide for its online streaming. With the best Kodi add-ons, you can turn your FireStick or PC into a home media centre with endless rich content to watch.
However, it may suffer from buffering problems. There can be many reasons for this, and most are when streaming over the Internet rather than watching local content.
Since this can have many reasons, several methods can help. In our step-by-step instructions, you will learn how to stop your buffering issues.
What Causes Kodi Buffering Issues?
Here are the primary reasons you might find Kodi buffering.
- Outdated add-ons
- Slow internet connection speed
- Network connectivity issues
- The streaming source has limited bandwidth
- Streams face congestion
- Incorrectly set Kodi cache settings
- ISP throttling your connection
You can find this buffering isn’t limited to specific streams or add ons. It is however more likely when you use third-party add-ons such as Neptune Rising or others, though even official add-ons can face the same problem when ISP’s become involved.
How to Stop Buffering on Kodi
Here we will show all the methods and system tweaks you can make to avoid your Kodi buffering problem no matter what the reason for causing it.
Check Kodi Add-Ones are Updated
Your first step is checking whether your Kodi add-ons are up to date and they are still working.
On occasions Kodi checks for add-on updates automatically, on other times you may have to do so manually.
If you are not up to date, you can find this is a quick route to streams not working and hence your buffering issue.
- From the Kodi home-menu, scroll down to “Add-ons”.
- Click the “Open Box Icon” in the top left corner. You can also select the penultimate option in the list “My Add-ons.”
- Hover your cursor on the left of your screen until a menu appears.
- Toward the bottom, you’ll see the last update time for your Kodi add-ons. Alternatively, click on “Check for Updates.”
If this doesn’t fix your Kodi buffering problems, you need to go to the next step.
Make Changes to Kodi Advanced Settings
This is the first real method for fixing your buffering. If you follow these instructions, you should have any issues in creating an advanced settings XML file in Kodi. It works on all Kodi versions; and if you are on an old version, now may be the best time to upgrade.
- Start Kodi on your Amazon Fire TV/ Stick, PC or other devices
- Select “Settings” on the top left-hand side of your screen
- Select “File Manager” inside the settings
- Click on “Add Source.” In the new window Click “None” inside the field and enter this URL exactly: http://www.onenation.info/Portal/
- Click “OK” when entered
- Click the field underneath and name the source such as “Portal”
- Click “OK” when entered
- Navigate to the home screen and select the “Add-ons” tab to the left side
- Toward the top, click the “Open Box” icon. Next, select “Install from zip file”
- You will see a prompt about allowing you to install Kodi add-ons from unknown sources. This has two options, “Settings” and “OK”. Select “Settings”
- Toggle the Unknown Sources to “On”
- On the next prompt, select “Yes.” You will return the “install from zip file” page
- Search for and select “Portal” the name you gave to the source file. Click on the “plugin.program.onenationportal.zip file”
- Wait as the One Nation Portal add-on installs. After a successful installation notification showing, the One Nation Portal automatically launches.
- Click “Continue” and then click “Ignore”
- Navigate to the Kodi home screen. On the left, click add-ons. On the right, you will spot the One Nation Portal. Select to open
- Click the Maintenance option – One-Nation Portal – SystemTweaks & Fixes – One-Nation Portal -Quick Configure Advanced-Settings. Set your Video Cache Size to the highest MegaBytes the setting goes.
- Select “write file”
Check Internet Connection Speeds
This is a significant factor, which causes a buffering problem. It does need a good download speed to stream movies, shows and others, particularly in high quality.
- If using home Wi-Fi, check the distance between your device and router.
- For wired connections, LAN (Local Area Network), check all the cables are secure. You can check your internet speed with Ookla Speed Test, and be sure; you are getting what you pay for, or you will get Kodi slow streaming issues.
Fix Buffering with Clear Cache
Aside from your video cache, you have your regular Kodi cache. Here you can find all the junk files. Using this method, you will get rid of all the unwanted stuff.
Using One Portal again, follow these steps:
- Select “Add-ons” to the left of the Kodi home screen
- Select One Nation – Maintenance – Cleaning Tools – Clear Cache and select it again
- Click “Total Clean Up”
You can find cache sizes are set too small. If you increase your cache size to around 500MB, you can see less buffering on Kodi.
Using a VPN to Stop Buffering
VPN’s encrypt internet traffic and run all your data through secure tunnels. All this depends on the servers you choose. You can find internet service providers block some of the add-ons you use in the UK. Kodi does receive lots of attention.
Aside from unblocking blocked streams, a VPN can stop internet service providers from throttling connections.
Streamers often face a slowdown of their connections if streaming through a Kodi device. Although it could be worse and your connection may be disabled.
To stop this, Kodi users need a suitable VPN service to stop buffering on Kodi. Here is a couple of the best VPN’s to fix Kodi buffering, and to prevent any threatening letters coming in the post.
ExpressVPN offers many servers that can help stop Kodi buffering. It provides high-speed, reliable connections with unlimited bandwidth, and is fast to stream HD 4K from 94 countries using any of its 3,000+ servers.
ExpressVPN unblocks other legal streaming services, including Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV, HBO Max, US Prime and others.
Customer service is 24/7 with live chat, so if Kodi keeps buffering for unknown reasons, staff are there to help.
To stop ISP’s and the government, it uses the best protocols and AES 256-bit encryption. You have a kill switch, zero logging, and headquarters in the BVI.
You can have five simultaneous connections on any device Kodi will run like Windows, mobile devices, Smart TVs, Apple TV and routers included, as well as browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
NordVPN offers an excellent fix for Kodi buffers with the ‘SmartPlay’ DNS. It helps keep speeds to the max and manages to unblock many streaming sources. Netflix, Hulu and HBO some of the legal ones
The VPN service has over 5,100+ servers in 60 countries.
Security is guaranteed to fix Kodi buffering from connection throttling with secure encryption, zero logs and 256-bit encryption. There is also a kill switch, double-hop feature to keep governing bodies away.
The company has specialised servers for anti-DDoS, streaming, and Tor-over-VPN. You can connect up to six devices on Windows, macOS, iOS and Android as well as routers.
It also comes with a one-month refund policy so that you can check out all the features.
With all the above methods, you can eliminate buffering on your Kodi app. The settings you change help to keep it in shape, yet the best VPN, which happens to be ExpressVPN, can stop buffering dead in its tracks in the UK.
You can safely access blocked streams and prevent connection throttling. With a 30-day money-back guarantee, you can test it to your heart’s content, and you will have the best Kodi buffering fix free.